Apple Raspberry Ferment Update
I started this apple & raspberry wine ferment back in January. It’s all bottled (and partially drank) now so I can finally give you an update.
This turned out great! If it lasted long enough, I could let it age a bit to clear and develop further, but we’ve been having some beautiful almost summer weather here in B.C. so we’ve dipped into this wine in the evenings.:)
Let me tell you – it has a wee bit of a kick! Woo. I did the final SG reading at 1.00 (it started at 1.105) using a hydrometer, so with initial temperature calculated in, it has finished off around 14% – 14.5%.
The flavor is very clean and smooth. No sharpness, bitterness, or ‘off’ flavors. Very nicely flavored – it’s hard to go wrong with raspberries!
Where I left off on the initial post, I’d just pitched the yeast (Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne Yeast) and left it as an aerobic ferment.
I left it in the only consistently warm area in my house and pretty much left it alone, just disturbing it to take hydrometer readings occasionally.
Once the SG read 1.03 I racked it and replaced the cloth tops with airlocks and let it ferment to 1.00.
I used a wine siphon to bottle the wine, careful not to disturb the accumulated particulates.
I could have racked again first, but since this is mainly for Kevin and myself I wasn’t worried about it too much. There is very little settling since bottling and I’d rather opt for less air exposure.
The bottles were placed in the pantry. After 24 hours, I put one in the fridge to bring out with dinner.
There is a negligible amount of carbonation, but it still has a nice sweetness to it.
This apple raspberry ferment turned out to be a great combination for a wine, give this one a try!