This year I opted to join in on The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap #fbcookieswap. I am not sure if Blarney Stones are “technically” cookies but these are a must have every year in our home.
Technically – blarney stones are made using a white cake, dipped in icing and rolled in peanuts. They are simple (if messy!) to make and always get devoured.
Kevin’s grandmother made these each year and they became a Christmas tradition.
Blarney Stones Recipe
The Cake…Texas Sheet Cake
1 cup butter
1 cup water
2 cups white sugar
2 cups + 4 tbsps. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
Preheat oven to 375F, and grease and flour an 11 x 17 baking sheet.
Add butter and water to bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir to melt butter.
Mix in flour, salt, and baking soda and whisk until smooth.
Beat in eggs and vanilla.
Stir in sour cream.
Pour into greased and floured baking sheet and bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
Turn out onto wire rack and let cool completely.
2 cups icing sugar
1/2 cup milk or cream
1.5 tsp. vanilla
Whisk together to incorporate. Use more milk/cream as needed for a thin consistency icing.
2 cups dry roasted salted peanuts
Use a food processor to process into smaller pieces.
Assembling Blarney Stones
When cake has cooled completely, cut into ‘finger’ sized pieces.
Dip into icing and let excess run back into bowl.
Roll in peanut pieces to coat.
Let set on wire racks set over a baking sheet or wax paper.
I line them up on wire racks and place the racks in the freezer to set them quickly and separately.
Store in fridge or freezer.
Like what you're reading? Share this article:
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Yummly (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)