- Yield : 8 - 12 buns
Mix this up by machine or by hand for an easy and very tasty variation on plain white buns. These are requested often in our house.
- 1 1/8 cups water
- 1 tsp. molasses
- 1 1/2 tbsp. butter
- 2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 1/4 tsps. dry active yeast
- 1/3 cup fine chopped onion
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, oregano, summer savory, crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsps. sunflower seeds (optional)
- 2 tbsps. melted butter for brushing tops (optional)
Add ingredients to machine as recommended by manufacturer reserving melted butter and sunflower seeds.
Use dough setting and press start.
At end of cycle, remove from pan to floured surface. Divide into 8 - 12 buns. (8 will give you hamburger sized, 12 for dinner rolls).
Shape into buns and place on lightly greased baking sheet.
Place in oven with light on and door closed until doubled in size.
Remove and heat oven to 350 degrees.
While waiting for oven to heat up, brush bun tops with melted butter and sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
Bake until golden on top and hollow sounding when tapped on the bottom (between 12 - 16 minutes)