Sleepy Time Banana Peel Tea
If you’ve ever had trouble sleeping and would like a natural remedy, Banana Peel Tea may be your answer.
I used wire racks as baking sheets and dehydrated the peels in the oven, leaving the door slightly ajar, at 170F.
It doesn’t take very long – I waited about 45 minutes, flipped all the peels over, and within another hour they were done.
I ground them up a bit and let them cool before storing the dried banana peels in a glass jar in my tea cupboard. I have an interesting collection of dried goods in there, I’ll share with you as time goes on!
So why on earth would I do all this?:)
Not only do banana peel contain soluble fiber, magnesium, potassium, and B vitamins but banana peels also contain the sleepiness inducing essential amino acid tryptophan.
The results? An all natural sleepy time tea!
This tea is perfect for a night time drink. It actually knocked me out quite effectively, so I don’t recommend it for daytime use unless you’d really like a nap.:)
To make a tea with your dried banana peels, just pour 1 cup of boiling water over 1 tsp. of dried peels in an infuser. Steep for 2 – 5 minutes and enjoy.
The first time I made this, I added cinnamon stick, lemon peel, a few peppercorns, a few fennel seeds and honey.
The banana-cinnamon scent is comforting, and it had a nice mellow flavor.
For my second cup, I added the dried banana peel to a chai tea mix. Very nice.:)
Dehydrated banana peel is a great addition to your night time tea, will you be trying it?
Like what you're reading? Share this article:
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Yummly (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on StumbleUpon (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to Press This! (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)